Category

Drivetrain

Category

Gmade KOMODO #3 Driveshafts, links and skid plate

After short break, we are back with another part of Komodo build 🙂 The main part of the driveshafts is made of plastic and can be mounted only one way. They are made slightly different than the ones I knew till now and they are put together with c-clips. What I like about them is the fact, they are thick and look very solid. Links are made of aluminium and have metal balls (?) in ball joints (correct me if I named it wrong 😉 ). Links have 7mm in diameter (for comparison – Axial SCX-10 ones have 6mm). As with the gearbox, screws and nuts are needed to mount links onto the skid plate. I really like this solution 🙂 Post brought to you by:

Gmade KOMODO #2 Gearbox

Komodo’s gearbox has a few differences in comparison to ones I had in my hands before. The biggest one is fact, it doesn’t have slippery clutch. You can find this solution also in Sawback and R1 Rock Buggy, so I believe Gmade knows what he’s doing 😉 Spur gear is one of the 3 gears inside the gearbox, what is also new to me. I used the same grease (“gear grease”) as in axles – just like producer suggested 🙂 To put gearbox together you need screws and nuts – holes ar not threaded. It’s the same with screwing it to the plate. You may need a bit more patience, but personally I think it’s brilliant. I really like the fact that the motor plate is a part of gearbox housing. Thanks to that you can take the motor out of the rig and put back without wasting time to…

Gmade KOMODO – our new project! #1 Axles

As many of you already know, we have a pleasure to build a new project 🙂 This time it’s a brand new KOMODO from Gmade! #ProjectG6 is driving on their rims (SR02 and SR03 – depends on which tires I choose), so when there came a chance to build Gmade’s new offroad rig, there was no question if we’re gonna do it 🙂 As usual, we’re gonna show you steps of the build and write a few words about each step. This time it’s all about the axles. This is what we found in the first bag, with axle parts. If there is something we don’t like about the way Gmade pack parts is fact, that when you end building f.e. axles, you are left with many parts, that you’re gonna need in next steps. It’s not a big problem of course, but at one point we run out of…

Project G6 #4 Gearbox & frame

The last “stock build post” – Project G6 gearbox and frame! 🙂 Sigh… Yeah… I know… The slipper pad is on the wrong side at this picture… The original Axial tires (Maxxis) are put on the rims only to show how the rig looks, when it’s ready – I’m not gonna keep them. I’m gonna show you what wheels Project G6 gonna ride on in one of the future posts 😉 Stay tuned! Post brought to you by:

Project G6 #2 Driveshafts & shocks

First step – driveshafts. Fortunately they are “the old type” (WB8) and I don’t have to change anything, as I like them better than “the new type” (WB8-HD). REMEMBER! It’s important to hold both couplers of the driveshaft the same way, while putting the driveshaft together. What I mean is to look at the pins at both ends – they should be in parallel position, so the whole driveshaft works smoothly 🙂 It will work either way, but you’ll notice the difference 🙂 Second step – shocks. I really like putting them together 🙂 As you can see – all of the parts are stock. But not for long, not for long… 😉 Post brought to you by:

Project G6 #1 Axles

I’m not gonna write about the whole process of “Project G6 axles build”, as I believe most of you saw Axial’s axles build more than once on youtube – just show you on pictures, how I did it and how I protect axles from water. Remember to check if they work just fine right after you put them together! If you don’t, and something is not right, you risk ruining them faster, than you think! Post brought to you by:

Axial driveshafts – WB8 vs WB8-HD

A few weeks ago my brother bought himself an Axial SCX10 Deadbolt and because he doesn’t have much experience with RCs (yet ;)) I’m the one that became his main mechanic 😉 And thanks to that I had a chance to make this comparison. First difference between WB8 and WB8-HD is that the first one has 2 elements, that goes one into another, while the second has 3 elements – the middle one goes inside the two external. Perks of this solution is that the middle element can be made stronger (with thicker sides) and thanks to that it should be more twist-and-snap-proof, than before. Second difference the size and construction of couplers. In WB8-HD the pinion (and the whole part actually) is much bigger (and that’s good), but I’m not sure about the whole idea of making it the opposite way, with pinion under the ring that isn’t held…